The Building for Kids strives to create a space and programs where kids (and adults!) can be kids, and families can enjoy their time together. One of our core beliefs is that every child and family deserves the chance to play and form stronger family bonds. Our Access Initiatives help us support families and children in times of need and financial difficulty, giving kids the opportunity to experience the simple joys of being a kid.
So far in 2017, over 400 families have been able to become Members through our Access Family Membership or visit through our Organization Access Membership program. Over 4,300 people have explored the BFK on a Free Day. Field Trip grants have allowed over 2,100 students from schools with increased free or reduced lunch rates to take part in our Discovery Classes and explore the BFK. Weekly outreach programs to various non-profits like Homeless Connections and Harbor House have offered families time to reconnect. And collaborative programs like RISE (Refugee and Immigrant Services and Education) with the Appleton Public Library and the summer Power of Positive Play group with the Appleton Area Public School District have enabled families not only to utilize the BFK but also learn about other resources in the community and connect with other families.
This holiday season, please consider a donation that will help a family connect all year long, a kid get a chance to explore, learn and play and families find the resources in the community to thrive!
Donations received from now through December 31, 2017, will go toward supporting our Access Initiatives.
Our Access Initiative includes:
- Spectrum Saturday – children on the spectrum and their families are given free admission to the BFK for the Spectrum Saturday program
- Access Family Membership – Memberships that allow families that are going through financial difficulties enjoy all the benefits of Membership and play.
- Organization Access Membership – This Membership covers different non-profit organizations like Harbor House and Homeless Connections. Families that are utilizing these various basic needs organizations can visit the BFK on the Organization Access Membership.
- Field Trip Grants – By offering grant we help schools with increased free and reduced lunch rates explore, learn and play.
- Free Day – By offering free admission days, we remove some of the barriers that keep families from visiting the BFK.